On the border of Mexico and United States pasting portraits of people inside the Rio Grande River walls.
Monica Lozano is a Mexican-American photographer born in El Paso, Texas and raised across the border in the sister city of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Lozano received her Master’s Degree in Photography in Madrid, Spain in Escuela Universitaria TAI. Her work has won various international photo competitions and grants, including two medals in Le Grand Prix de la Photographie Paris 2019 and final selection for Portrait of Humanity Book published by British Journal of Photography and Magnum Photos. In 2011, Lozano finished the Photo Global residency at the School of Visual Arts in New York City on a presidential scholarship which she won at the International Talent Support #ITSEIGHT Contest in Trieste, Italy.
Her work has been featured under the “One To Watch” section of American Photo Magazine and the Columbia Journalism Review selected her for the “20 Women to Watch” list in 2011. Lozano collaborated with the TED Award winner JR on his Inside Out Project in Mexico creating and coordinating a massive worldwide public art action called "Be The Change", in which 21 countries exchanged portraits and pasted them on public spaces during the International Day of Peace in 2012. Lozano and her work were featured in the film, Inside Out, which premiered at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival. Her work was selected for the opening exhibition of Latin America's first photographic and image museum founded by the Pedro Meyer Foundation in Mexico City. Lozano's elegant and socially charged portraits have been exhibited in Mexico, the United States, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Denmark, Seoul, Indonesia, Portugal, Tunis, Chile, Greece and Morocco.
Lozano is currently documenting the dire conditions of migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers housed in shelters and detention facilities in El Paso and Juarez. She came back to the border where she began life, straddling two countries and teaching University students about photography and how art can transcend borders.
- Photo Global Residency. School of Visual Arts, New York, United States. 2010 - 2011.
- Masters Degree in Advertisement and Fashion Photography. TAI Escuela Superior de Artes y Espectaculos, Madrid, Spain. 2008 - 2009.
- BA Graphics Design and Visual Arts. Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Monterrey, Mexico. 2001 - 2005.
- Monica Lozano Photography, Owner - Director. 2006 - Present.
- University of Texas at El Paso, Professor. 2018 - Present.
- Quadro Productions, Photographer, CDMX 2010-2018.
- CBS Broadcasting Television Inc. Graphic Design / Photographer. 2007 - 2008.
- Grand Prix de la Photographie, Paris. 2019.
- Portrait of Humanity Exhibition and Book presentation, London. 2019.
- AMBULANTE, Documentary Film Festival, bi national solo photo exhibition. 2019.
- "Exhilios Fotograficos", Museo Casa Redonda, Chihuahua. 2019.
- "Exhilios Fotograficos", INBA, Ciudad Juarez. 2018-19.
- "BORDERS", Sardinia, Italy, 2017.
- "Disarmante", Cagliari, Italy, 2017.
- Todos Somos Migrantes, Copenhagen, 2017.
- Todos Somos Migrantes, Madrid, Barcelona, Alicante, Caceres, Spain, 2017.
- Ayotzinapan 26, cortometraje documental, Filmoteca, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. UNAM, 2016.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Universidad Ibero Americana (IBERO), Puebla, 2016.
- "Todo Por Ver", Foto Museo Cuatro Caminos, CDMX, Mexico 2015.
- "No nos cabe tanta Muerte", Granada, Spain. 2015.
- "BORDERS", Transnational Art Biennial, El Paso-Juarez, 2015.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Madrid, España, 2014.
- "Madrid. Ext/Dia", PhotoEspaña, Madrid, 2014.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Universidad Ibero Americana (IBERO), Mexico City, 2013-2014.
- "Borders", Basico, El Paso TX, 2013-2014.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Fototeca, Zacatecas, Mexico 2013.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Mexico City, 2013.
- "No nos cabe tanta Muerte", Barcelona, Spain. 2012 -13.
- "The Other Side", Solo Exhibition, International Arts Movement, New York. 2012.
- "Inside Out Project", Juarez / El Paso, border of Mexico and USA. 2011-2012.
- "Photo Global New Releases", SVA & New York Photo Festival, New York. 2011.
- "Project Paz Art Exhibition", New York. 2010 - 2011.
- “Lab Exhibition” Michael Foley and Sasha Wolf Gallery, New York. 2010.
- “Noche en Blanco” Cultural Night, Mexican Embassy, Madrid, Spain. 2010 .
- “Borders Violent-arte” Museo Lopez Portillo, Guadalajara, Mexico. 2010.
- “Borders” Solo Exhibition, Spazio Italia Gallery, Munich, Germany. 2009.
- “Borders” Solo Exhibition, TAI BOX Gallery, Madrid, Spain. 2009.
- "Pecha Kucha Vol. 5" El Paso, United States. 2009.
- “Borders” Solo Exhibition, “Festival Cultural de la Ciudad”, Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. 2009.
- Grand Prix de la Photographie Paris Silver Medal, Fine Art Category BORDERS series, 2019.
- Grand Prix de la Photographie Paris Bronze Medal, Press Category, HUGS NOT WALLS series, 2019.
- Portrait of Humanity Book, final selection published by British Journal of Photography and Magnum Photos. 2019.
- Documentary Family Awards, Judges Choice Award. 2019.
- Documentary Family Awards, 2nd Place on Real Life Moments. 2019.
- American Consulate in Mexico Artist Grant. Mexico, 2011.
- Presidential Scholarship / Photo Global Residency / School of Visual Arts, New York, NY. 2010.
- Photo Semifinalist “Hyeres” Fashion and Photography International Competition. Hyeres, France. 2010.
- “Air Dolomiti” (Lufthansa) Photo Award, Trieste, Italy. 2009.
- Photo Finalist “ITS#EIGHT” Fashion and Photography International Competition. Trieste, Italy. 2009.
- Full Scholarship / Photography Masters Degree / Escuela Superior de Artes y Espectaculos, Madrid. 2009.
- Emmy Award for collaboration in WCCO TV Graphic Design Climate Package. Minneapolis, MN. 2008.
- Witness by Foto Feminas and World Press Photo, 2019.
- Portrait of Humanity Book, by British Journal of Photography, Magnum Photos, Hoxton Mini Press and Clear Channel, 2019.
- FotoFeminas, Photographer of the Month, 2019.
- Documentary Family Awards and Storytellers Book, 2019.
- Featured in film Documentary, "Mein unbekanntes America" for Channel 1. Switzerland, 2019.
- AJ+ Español, 2019.
- Vogue Mexico and Latinamerica, January Issue, 2019.
- MetroJournal, Brasil, 2018.
- Featured in "The Jungle" New York City. Film collaboration with Good Chance Theater, London, 2018.
- Ser Mujer en Latinoamerica, the book, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, CDMX, 2018.
- Reuters, El Pasto TX, 2018.
- Photo Book, Migracion 2.0 Book, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Mexico. 2018.
- Vogue Mexico and Latinamerica, September Issue, 2018.
- Telehit Magazine, cover, Mexico, 2016.
- Border Crossings, La Salle University, Philadelphia, 2015.
- The RIFT, University of California Los Angeles, UCLA, 2015.
- Photo Book, La Frontera, by Stefan Falke, Germany, 2014.
- Photo Book, Be The Change, published in France, 2014.
- The Artclass curator, spotlight Juarez 03.11 Series. 2014.
- Columbia Journalism Review, "20 Women to Watch". July 2012.
- Huffington Post, Culture and Arts, Monica Lozano’s Photographs Depict Stories Of Struggle And Survival In Juarez. April, 2012.
- American Photo Magazine, "One to Watch" Column. Sept Issue. 2011.
- EFE International Agency / ”Borders” Featured work and interview to various media outlets. 2010.
- Juarez siempre en el Alma, Book, 2010.
- DXI International Magazine / “Disney Madrid” Cover and editorial content. 2010.
- Calle 20 Magazine Spain / Featured work and Interview. 2010.
- www.minispace.com Berlin / “Borders” Featured as Portfolio of the week. 2009.
- The Greatest show of all, ITS Book, Trieste, Italy, 2009.
- www.reporteindigo.com / 2009.
- Cibeles Fashion Week Madrid / Press Photographer. 2009.
CONFERENCES / COURSES TAUGHT
- Conversatorio Mujeres Fotografas en la Frontera. INBA, Ciudad Juarez, 2019.
- Clickfest, Merida Yucatan Mexico, 2018.
- Photography and Arquitecture, Texas Tech University. 2018.
- Professional Practices, University of Texas at El Paso, 2018.
- Rubin Center for the Visual Arts, University of Texas at El Paso, 2017.
- BodaF, Queretaro, Mexico. 2017.
- Ellas Workshop, San Luis Potosi, Mexico. 2016.
- Jewel Box, El Paso Community Foundation, El Paso TX, 2016.
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, ITESM, 2016.
- Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, Facultad Antropologia Social. 2016.
- Clickfest, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. 2015.
- Artist Talk, Rubin Center for the Visual Arts, University of Texas at El Paso, March 2014.
- CNN Latin America interview for MUJER LATINA, 2013.
- Free Dimensional, Centro Cultural España, Mexico City, October 2013.
- Encuentro Nacional de Escuelas de Diseño, Encuadre, October 2013.
- TEDx Talk, El Paso TX, Sept. 2013.
- Artist Talk, Universidad de Monterrey (UDEM), Mexico. May 2013.
- International Day of Peace, Claustro de Sor Juana, Mexico City, Sept. 2012.